Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Only the pure of heart can make good soup" Beethoven

So here is the recipe for the Chicken Tortilla Soup-as previously blogged about!! This is truly the easiest dinner to make-especially for a crowd, every time I make I get rave reviews and it is so simple!!!! Hopefully I get the directions right because I'm just a dumper--I guess, if I think it looks right, then I taste it. So play around with the spices until it taste right to you!!

1 roisteree chicken (I get mine from Costco-cheap and very big)
2 cartons of chicken broth
1 large onion sauteed
1-2 cloves of garlic through a garlic press. ( if you burn the garlic start over...)
2 stalks of celery also sauteed ( I don't like celery so I chop very fine)
okay here's where the measurements get questionable....
1-3 teaspoons of garlic power more of you don't have fresh garlic
1-2 teaspoons of salt
Couple dashes of liquid smoke ( you don't have to have but it makes it taste like it's been cooking all day, it's really cheap and in the with the condiments I think, it will last FOREVER)
1-2 teaspoon paprika
1-2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon of chili powered or red pepper( more if you like it really hot- I have a really weak mouth)
About 3/4 of a bunch of chopped cilantro
2 cans of corn with juices
1 large can of rotel or 2 small cans

With the spices add the smallest amount first and then add more if it doesn't taste right. Sorry I can't give more accurate measurements.
Cook until everything is hot!!! I put in a crock pot and let it cook all day but it truly makes no difference in the taste- It should take about a half hour from start to finish

Serve with avocado, sour cream, cilantro, cheese and of course tortilla chips. I break mine in the bottom of the bowl before I add the soup...but whatever. This will feed about 10 people good size bowls.

"Beautiful soup, so rich and green
Waiting in a hot tureen!
Who for such dainties would not stoop?
Soup of the evening, beautiful soup!
Beautiful soup!
Who cares for fishGame,
or any other dish? Who would not give
all else for twoPennyworth
of beautiful soup?"
Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

1 comments:

thegreatscotts said...

Yum! I am excited to try it! I love your background! So chic! Hey, I notice you put the Baybee boutique on your links. Do you like it? people have been buying stuff from us. It is great!