Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm waving the white flag, throwing in the towel, tapping out etc...

For some VERY aggravating reason Ryan is an EXTREMELY picky eater!!! Today for lunch I gave him some chicken nuggets(I was totally against giving my child chicken nuggets, before I had children but now they are looking pretty good) the ONLY meat I can get him to eat!! Well he hasn't eaten any meat in about a week so, I thought I would try it out again and see how things went. Well, for lunch he just sat in his high chair and screamed. This really puzzles me because I really tried hard to expose him to all different types of food but the only things he will eat are, eggs(sometimes, if NOTHING else is presented),waffles, yogurt, bananas, grapes, blueberries,watermelon, cheese, peanut butter sandwich, grilled cheese, and any sort of cracker, cookies, pretzels anything along those lines!! This may seem like alot to some but this menu is very limiting and I ALWAYS have to plan ahead, I can't just buy him something to eat while we are out and about!!
Okay, back to today, so he didn't want to eat his lunch, so I decided that he was going to have it for dinner, well he cried through his nap (because he was hungry) and then proceeded to scream until 7o'clock tonight!! I felt like I was about to go CRAZY!!! I put him in his high chair at 6 and he screamed bloody murder until 6:35 when I finally took him out of his high chair for a break, after that any time I walked past the highchair he would scream, so I gave up and made him a grilled cheese-he ate every last bite!! I'm usually pretty good at sticking to something once I've made up my mind but today I just couldn't do it!! The blood curdling scream was more than I could handle!! What do I do about a picky eater?? If he doesn't know what it is he wont even open his mouth! I guess there are trade offs for having a great sleeper right??

4 comments:

Leah and Mike said...

That is so funny - that is exactly what Addy eats. She, also, is such a picky eater and it drives me crazy. Tonight I was jumping for joy because she finally ate what we were having for dinner (I usually have to make her a separate meal) - spaghetti. I have heard to not make them a separate meal (like I usually do) and just let them starve and eventually they will eat it. Also, I have heard that it takes like 11-15 times of introducing the same food until they will actually eat it. I have heard all these things, but have yet to have them work. Good luck!

Laur said...

Stay strong and remember who's in charge. It's you, Em, RIGHT!!? It may be a rough night but I'd wager he'd eat brains come morning! By the way, I know none of this from experience, as your picky eater eats better than my 16 year old! BTW, what's wrong with grilled cheese? Love you, it will get better. Laur

JS said...

I can't sympathize. I have good eaters and good sleepers. :) Just kidding. The older they get the less foods they will eat, even if you gave them to them when they were younger. My ped. said that if they get 1 good meal a week they are doing good. One day, they might eat a lot of fruits, the next more grains, another they will eat more protein. It all ends up as getting the food they need.

And you are too nice. I just put the kids to bed if they don't want to eat. They are dang hungry in the morning, but it has stopped a couple of food fetishes. I also bribe with applesauce. Berkleigh will eat her food so she gets the apple sauce, Merrick will start eating after that. :)

Jules said...

My oldest son was SO picky and had a similar diet. I thought I had the plan figured out for #2 but he is even more picky!

Plus, I have no willpower to tolerate the tantrums and crying that comes from holding out- they just get hungrier and crankier and mine wake up at night hungry which is bad because I like to sleep! :)

My ped said kind of the same thing as Jen's- they will have food phases but balanced months are more important that balanced days. And peanut butter is a decent protein. Also, she said, boys are boys and one day he will eat so much of everything you won't believe it!

Just keep offering new/same stuff alongside with stuff that he will eat and eventually he'll go back to eating a wider variety but don't worry too much!

Otherwise, I feel your pain on not just being able to order something when you are out and about with him! Due to allergies I can't count on places having food that he can eat. It is a pain.