Okay I have some major problems so I'm asking the world for some answers! I have a Two year old who hears EVERYTHING, can say ANYTHING, and UNDERSTANDS everything. How do I discipline a strong willed TWO year old boy who laughs at spankings and will sit in time out forever no problem? How do I punish mean words, "Go away, stop it, stay out of my room! bad mommy, you go to time out!" If he is saying all this at two what is he going to be like at 4, 9, 13, 17? I need to put a stop to it NOW but I'm not sure how to find something effective and immediate, any help or answers.
6 days ago

12 comments:
Oh Em, I wish that I had huge amounts of advice for you...but I don't. I am sorry he is being a stinker. I hope you figure it out and get lots of advice, because you are the one I turn to for the answers! What does Katie say? Love you!
That is EXACTLY how Addy was at 2 - laughed at spankings and LOVED time-out. So frustrating. All I can say is that now (around the time she turned 3), she is terrified of time-out. So, I have no advice except for "this, too, shall pass" :)
Favorite toy? Snugglie? Or Blankie? Try taking that away. That is what you have to do with older kids . . is take away their "comforts" i.e. TV, Video Games etc. :)
I have two kids like that. I may get mad at them all too often, but I sit down and think about it, I can't blame them - they are just like me! Stubborn, sassy, and all other adjectives that go along with it. So I sometimes use reverse psychology on them or just plain ignore them during bad behavior moments. Logan hates when I ignore his negative attention attempts - and it reverses his actions. BUT, I am sure many would think I am not the one to ask....I just chalk it up to "this too shall pass" attitude!
oh... when you figure it out let me know.
call me a mean mom, but when d was at here sassiest phase a while back she got a flick on the mouth everytime she said something ugly.
(well probably not everytime, because a good chunk of them.)
kind of in a , "bummer for you dude, but you DO NOT talk to me like that. now you will get a flick."
it may have backfired when D informed me that Reese had done something naughty and she now needs a flick. but.... im out of other ideas. like i said let me know when you figure it out.
Time out used to work for Austin (now 3 yrs old), but it seems to not be working as well anymore. I am trying to think of another way to handle things too! :) I have heard that taking away their favorite things works when older, not sure about this age, but I think it would be worth a try for you. I have a friend that threatens with hot sauce. That might seem cruel but she only did it once. She just carries a little Taco Bell pouch in her purse and he stops at the sight of it now! Maybe that sounds mean? I don't know if I would try it, but it might work. But, like others have suggested, I think "this too shall pass". -Karalee (Olmstead) LIfferth
my mom used to threaten us with hot sauce or like chile pepper stuff... extremely hot. haha it worked. i have no kids so the only wisdom i can pass along is my mothers. but i do LOVE hot foods now hahaha.
Janeese and Karalee's comments took me on a trip down memory lane...I know one mom who used to have her kids lick a bar of soap when they were particularly cheeky or nasty! I am not sure what they really thought of it, but it did seem to be effective... Was used into highschool for some!
Dr. Phil says find their "currency" and take it away. They must earn it back. So, away go the cars (boy I bet his behavior would improve quick!), his animals, whatever you think will work. I didn't learn all this until my kids were pretty easy, so I can't say that it works, but with the teens, the threat of no more cell phone (or discontinued service usually works quite quickly!)
Hang in there, you're a good mommy. Stay strong and DON'T GIVE IN!!!!
I have no advice- but- I'm sorry we missed you when we were in town. Scott and I are still laughing at the advice Jared gave us about having kids so close together. He is so funny! Also- be sure to ask him what he was wearing work- he said you were gone so he got away with it.
Jackson unfortunately is the EXACT same way and Brett and I are at a total loss. J will usually the exact opposite of whatever we ask unless he's feeling particularly sweet...that's rare! Does Ryan ever run away when you are trying to load both of them into the car? That's Jackson's new favorite thing...it's making me all sorts of crazy! what to do?!? btw, I made my GIVE thanks art project...i'll put up pictures this week so you can tell me if I did your project any justice, you can be honest!
I second the advice of "Laur". Taking away toys (especially the cherished ones)is a great way and they need to earn it back as well. This works good too if he doesn't want to pick up toys. I tell Preston. "Put away the toys you want to keep"
Post a Comment