Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Standby Me

Well, my very nice friend Karina said that I could use one of her standby tickets to go to California, which I thought sounded like a great idea, but she cautioned that sometimes it was difficult to use. I waved off her concern thinking the difficulties wouldn't apply to me! Well I was greatly mistaken!! I was going to fly into San Fran Monday but it was full all day, so we decided to try Tuesday morning for a 7:50 flight, that seemed do able to me and Karina said that it looked great. Okay perfect, well not quite Jared woke up at 1:30 throwing up and was making the most awful noises. I really felt bad for him but at that point there wasn't really anything I could do for him, but I couldn't fall back asleep. Karina texted me at 3:50 am to let me know that the flight looked really good so at that point there was no reason to fall back asleep since I needed to leave for the airport at 6. At 5:30 I went to the store to get Jared some supplies ie; Gatorade, saltines, and chicken soup. When I got home I got Ryan up and left for the airport in the rain. I drove myself since Jared wasn't up to it, I parked in the remote parking to save a couple of bucks. I truly underestimated how long the remote parking would take, I has to park like a half a mile from the station, drag all my stuff to the station(huge suitcase, stroller, HEAVY carseat, pack'n'play, large diaper bag, and last but not least a twenty pound baby.) I got the the station and waited 15 minutes, checked in and went through security and got to my gate-all that work and the plane was gone!! It just went down hill from there-Ryan was perfect but everything else was awful. I waited at another gate for 4 hours-the weather got horrible the airport shut down for about 45 minutes because of lightning. Finally our plane arrived they got everyone on and were about to get me on the plane when they figured out the plane was weight restricted. At that point the rain was really coming down and some flights had already been canceled. The gate attendant was very nice and told me it would probably be best for me to go home. That's just what I did, in the pouring rain!! By the time I trekked back to my car in the POURING rain I was totally drenched. Oh well I'll try again tomorrow!

This was the result of a long day at the airport. I know I keep bragging about him but I don't think he cried all day. He was amazing!! I wanted to sleep too, I had to call Katie to keep me awake as I drove home.

3 comments:

Katelyn said...

urgh! what a mess... i forgot to call you today so I wonder if you ever made it? Talk to you soon~kate

Stephanie said...

Crazy!crazy! We got soaked by the rain too, but your pridicament sounds a lot worse than ours. Hope you make it to Cali someday.

XYZinn said...

Oh, that is so cute. When Scott worked for Skywest we would fly standby all the time. It sounds like such a great thing...free tickets...but then you end up having to wait all day and not get on. He had that happen when he flew to Hawaii with a buddy. Oh well, I would still take free tickets!